DISCOVER THE VALUE OF GOOD HEALTH.
At the South County YMCA we believe supporting our neighbors is fundamental to strengthening our community. With that in mind we have developed a wide array of offerings specifically designed for active adults such as:
- Water exercise improves energy, aerobic, muscle conditioning, cardiovascular endurance and muscle tone, all by using the buoyancy and resistance of water.
- Silver Sneakers® is a fun, energizing program that helps older adults take greater control of their health by encouraging physical activity. Unlock the door to a greater independence and a healthier life provided for you by UnitedHealth Plan.
- Qi Gong combines breathing, controlled movement and meditation and has its roots in Chinese medicine, martial arts & philosophy. It is considered by some to be exercise, and by others to be a type of alternative medicine or meditative practice.
- Chair Yoga participants enjoy all the benefits of yoga, stress reduction, increased muscular strength, flexibility and endurance all in the comfort of a chair.
- Matter of Balance is designed to reduce the fear of falling while increasing the activity level of older adults who have concerns about falls and are interested in improving flexibility, balance and strength– this class is for you.
- Review our current schedules for class offerings.
Learn about our wide variety of programs for youth, adults, and active older adults. Swim lessons, diabetes prevention, triathlon training and everything else in between. All in one place. Download your copy today.
LIVESTRONG AT THE YMCA
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those
affected. The Y and the LIVESTRONG Foundation have joined together to create LIVESTRONG
at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult
cancer survivors reclaim their total health.
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals such
as building muscle mass and strength; increasing flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence
and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG
at the YMCA
is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body. Daytime
and evening classes are available. To learn more about LIVESTRONG
at the YMCA, contact:
Neta Taylor-Post at 401-427-1825.
Work with a nationally certified personal trainer to develop an exercise
program that focuses on your individual health concerns and unique
fitness goals. In addition to strengthening and conditioning, we offer personal training
in yoga, Pilates, water exercise, and more. We will customize your
program to suit your needs. Trainers are available to work with you
one-on-one, with a buddy, or in a small group setting. You can also
choose from one-hour sessions or our 30-minute quick train option. Pick
up an Interest Form at the Welcome Center to get started.